Yesterday I assessed my August goals and got mixed results. Now that the school year has started in earnest (Mr. FP is a teacher, so we still run our lives on the academic calendar), I’m going to try setting some more serious goals and see where that gets me.
Income: Earn $400 more than I spend on childcare, whatever that may be. (I am toying with the idea of pulling the boys out of their preschool as I’m not sure I’m happy with it.)
Spending: Limit grocery spending to $500. Mr. FP has been doing our shopping, but he is very busy with the school year now.
Lifestyle: Reduce Little Brother’s dependence on Pull-Ups. Use them only for trips to the Y and overnight; by the end of the month, try to have him sleeping in two pairs of training pants with plastic cover instead of Pull-Ups.
Other: Get life insurance. Read three books. Make weekly to-do lists for chores and household tasks.
I’m serious about that last one. A couple of bloggers I admire, most notably the Frugal Girl and the Prudent Homemaker, always blow me away with their to-do lists and lists of tasks accomplished. I keep a general to-do list, but have been inconsistent about assigning tasks to particular weeks or days, and things languish. The idea is that if I make a weekly list, maybe I can do a better job of enforcing myself. Here’s this week’s list:
- Find pediatrician and make appointments for boys
- Follow-up on speech therapy for Big Brother
- Go to Jo-Ann’s for supplies; hem jeans. Sewing machine maintenance. Mend 2 pairs pants and 2 dresses.
- Find a life insurance broker
- Take old clothes/shoes to donation box
- Get fingerprints done for job application
- Goals blog post (done!)
- Order bike lights (done!)
- Earn $275
- Look into fixing broken leather purse
- Inventory boys’ winter clothes
- Mop (done!)
It’s am ambitious list by my standards–if I can’t do it all, then I’ll know to put less on next week’s list. What are you up to this week?